source: https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-orwell-foundation/orwell/essays-and-other-works/politics-and-the-english-language/

I chose this essay because I was intrigued. I think sentiment and relating to the subject personally does matter but I felt like giving a shot to “Politics and the English language”. This took a little time to write up but I do think this essay was interesting to read. I was definitely overwhelmed but breaking it down helped, especially since Orwell just wrote using vocabulary I knew that got straight to the point. The only actual hard thing was reading the large chunks of paragraphs in there. It’s something that made me more aware of how easy it is to muddle things even if you have a certain vision. I’m still learning to write in a more direct  way so I think this is definitely helpful. I didn’t find anything that irked me personally, aside from how blunt and harsh he sounded in the essay. It was interesting though.

[In response to Orwell’s “Politics and the English Language” essay, he may come off as very condescending and hypocritical but when reading the whole essay, especially the last half, he talks about how everyone has a tendency of making these habits. His point was that modern English’s takes on how things should be made to sound more eloquent or flowy instead of focusing on the actual subject is what causes writing to eventually become lackluster. We see this constantly, especially now. In marketing schemes, companies purposefully avoid the hard details by painting a vague generic term over what needs to be discussed. Multi-leveled-marketing schemes are literally also another name for pyramid schemes, but those scamming companies wouldn’t ever tell you that. These words fill egos up with pride and lead us to being blind. Which is why his emphasis on actually entailing what is actually supposed to be there instead of filler words that are fancy but do not fit our narrative is so important.

Even in our daily lives, we make certain details purposefully vague in order to get people on our sides. I’ve used that type of lying or omission and so have many of my other friends or people I am acquainted with. Take for example, politics. The concept of a politician does sound great with all those promises shoved into our ears when its time for people to start considering who is behind these campaigns. Politicians do relatable things and feed us what we want to hear when they need our votes. Which means they will probably find a loophole and blame it on the voters for not understanding. Take Biden as an example. I know he’s barely started out as our current POTUS, but many people remember him discussing how he was going to give people a $2000 stimulus check when he got to work. However, what he left out in the finer details is that he would be considering the $600 stimulus checks from Trump’s term and in reality, gave $1400 stimulus checks. While it is a bigger amount than what the last stimulus checks were, he still failed to fulfill what he promised completely with that tricky wording. It’s not surprising, but still, a disappointment to many other Americans.]